Slideshow
PRESTATYN RAMBLING CLUB

Prestatyn is a very friendly and sociable group that walks every Sunday
        

Click here for "The Snowdonia Weather Forecast"

 

 

NEXT WEEKS WALK

Sunday 21st July 2019

Walk 1. Garnedd Gwellian Grade 1  8 miles Leader Ian Mayo Start 0800hrs.

 Ian's Blog - Birthday Boys walk 14th July 2019

The walk departed from the carpark close to the Pen Y Gwryd hotel, the hotel being a popular watering hole for many famous climbers also base for the members of the successful 1953 Everest expedition. We had fifteen happy Ramblers ready to enjoy Mike and Aled's Birthday walk.

Our transport dropped us of at the station of Rhyd Ddu

Following the Rhyd Ddu path we pass the now disused Ffridd quarry and continue on to the Bwlch Cwm y Llan Quarry, opening in the 1840's but unfortunately the return from what appears to have been such a considerable effort was found to have been very modest.

At Cwm Bwlch Y Llan, where we stopped for a well-deserved cuppa, we could see into the mist shrouded Cwm Y Llan with the Hafod Y Llan Quarries.

The group now climbed up to the Obelisk, 3,295 feet, marking the meeting of the Watkin Path, named after the Liberal M.P who had a chalet in Cwm y Llan. The path being opened to the public in 1892 by the then P.M. William Gladstone.

Between the flurries of mist, we can see our onward route over Bwlch y Saethau (Pass of the arrows) where King Arthur was to lose his life whilst fighting a running battle with Modred and his Saxon army. Sir Bedevere carrying the mortally wounded Arthur down to the shores of Llyn LLydaw where he cast Excalibur into the lake,

Taking the opportunity to enjoy a scramble over the warm rock on LLiwedds West flank we were soon on LLiwedds summit, 2,859 feet, hoping we didn't disturb any of Arthurs Knights sleeping in the caves of Lliwedd far below the group.

Below us we were able to study Llyn LLydaw, one of Snowdonia's deepest corrie lakes with a depth of 190ft, unfortunately suffering from poisoning from the nearby Glaslyn copper mines.

Robin was able to show the group the "Trinity" face under Snowdon's summit with its numerous winter climbs.

 The group now descended to the pipeline, supplying water from Llyn Llydaw to the Hydro Electric power station in Cwm Dyli far below us. Some discussions as to our descent, but a decision was made to use the pipeline as a hand rail and descend to the power station, a torturous but quick descent.

The Chapel like Cwm Dyli power station, being built in 1906 is the oldest Hydro Electric power station being connected to the National Grid its original intention was to supply electricity to not only the local quarries but to the planned Electric Railway from Beddgelert to Betws y Coed, a proposal that never came to fruition. The power was also used to power Marconis Transmitting station at nearby Waenfawr.

The group continued up the Power Station access road back to our parking area to partake of Cake and Coffee at Siabod Café.  We had completed 10 miles and 3,3753 feet of ascent with good company.

 

Thanks to Mike and Aled for the walk.

 

Peter's blog re Susan's "Sychnant and Conwy Mountain" Walk on 14th July.

On a fine and dry day with the sunshine coming and going 17 walkers set off from the car park by Ysgol Aberconwy in Conwy. After crossing the railwy bridge we walked up through the area known as Cadnant Park before going over a stile onto Conwy Mountain or Mynydd y Dref , to give it its Welsh name. The mountain only reaches a height of about 245 metres but it must be said that the views from it are outstandingly good.

The Great Orme is prominent  to the north , but the views towards Snowdonia and Anglesey are extensive. Conwy and its Castle are to the east, with Deganwy and the Conwy Marina below .

We had a coffee stop just after passing the summit. We stopped near the remains of the Iron Age hill fort known as Castell Caer Seion.

We continued over undulating ground towards the Sychnant Pass. On the way there we came upon a Carneddau mare and her young foal.

After crossing over the Sychnant Pass road we followed another path that brought us to the lake at Gwern Engen.We had our lunch break here.We watched as a father and his young son were fishing, but they didn't have any luck while we were there.

After lunch we came to a minor road and then took a footpath on the left. We were now on farmland, with Conwy Mountain above us on our left

We then followed footpaths that took us over fields and back to the lower slopes of Conwy Mountain. We followed the bridle way back to Cadnant Park and the start.

Teas , coffees and cakes were enjoyed at the RSPB cafe at Llandudno Junction.

Thanks go to Susan for leading us, and to the weather for allowing us to enjoy the views from Conwy Mountain.